Wednesday 22 November 2017

My Favourite Free Crochet Hat Patterns

I love a good crocheted winter hat pattern, here are some of my favourites.
Favourite free crochet hat patterns
What do you call a snug fitting pull on wooly winter hat in your part of the world?
Earlier in the year we went to Canada and discovered that there they are called 'toques' or is it 'touques'?
I am familiar with the US 'beanie' as that's what we call them here in the UK - unless they have a pom pom on top and then it's called a 'bobble hat'.

Whatever they are called, they are a cold weather essential and they are a lovely thing to knit or crochet. I prefer to crochet hats, anything round is much easier to crochet in my opinion, and with a fairly substantial yarn you can whip one up in an evening. 

I thought I'd share a few of my favourite crochet hat patterns, the ones I've actually tried out and had success with. 

I LOVE this puff stitch beanie pattern from The Wee House of Crochet.
It is perfect for someone who is a beginner, maybe someone who has only done granny squares up to know. It's a great chance to expand your stitch repertoire but it's still a simple pattern to follow. 
I made mine in an grey Aran yarn I picked up from Aldi, but any worsted or aran weight would work. Lovely with a pom pom or without.
Favourite free crochet hat patterns
 
Doing a rib effect with crochet is actually really easy. This cute Lolly-Poms Easy Ribbed Crochet Beanie from One Dog Woof is a great pattern to practice the technique. 
I made this in the same Aldi yarn but again any aran or worsted will work. 
Favourite free crochet hat patterns
As you can see, this is the hat I made the rainbow pom pom for. Find out how to make them (it's easy) here.

The last hat I've made in this grey aran yarn is this V Stitch Beanie from Over the Apple Tree
Mine looks a slightly different shape to the original pattern but I think that's just the way it's lying on the table. The flower pattern I used is this free one from Mollie Makes Magazine, it's one of my favourites.
Favourite free crochet hat patterns
This was another 'simple to follow' pattern and I love the little edging which was another new stitch for me to learn. 
Another of my favourite free crochet hat patterns is this lovely plaid hat from Whistle and Ivy.
I made a version of this for myself last year and it became my go to for every cold day.
Favourite free crochet hat patterns
The pattern for this is for a worsted / aran weight too but I made mine using DK which is a little thinner and it turned out just fine. 

Have you got a fabulous free crochet hat pattern you'd like to share? Add it to the link up below. 





Sum of their Stories
Sum of their Stories

Hello, I'm Julie. I love making things and this is where I share my enthusiasm.

13 comments:

  1. Oh! Julie what the lovely hats! I like ribbed one and poff patterns most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have all turned out well for me, which is why I feel confident to recommend them. I'm glad you have seen some that you like, do let me know if you try them at all.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful hats, Julie!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your are most welcome Mia, thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Julie, I love your collection and I'd absolutely be thrilled if you really were to add a pattern of mine, too. Pinning this great post of yours to my Pinterest board "Granny squares and such things" for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you can use the linky button (the blue one that says "add your link" ) to add a link to any free crochet hat pattern you have on your site. I hope you do :-)

      Delete
  4. I love the puff stitch on the first one but they are all wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The puff stitch was really fun to make, as much easier than I thought it would be. It's a great pattern :-)

      Delete
  5. I love a good crochet hat - can you believe I have made loads but never wrote out the patterns !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great. I love crochet hats :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That V Stitched Beanie is adorable, we called them that in South Africa too ;-) Love that little flower on the side

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crochet is one of the most relaxing crafts to work on.. i think all your patterns are great. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful hats, love this style just need to learn to crochet, lol

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts/comments, thank you for taking the time.